Home World Canada 2 deaths and 94 new COVID-19 cases in London area Thursday |...

2 deaths and 94 new COVID-19 cases in London area Thursday | CBC News


Recent developments:

  • There are 94 new cases of COVID-19 in Middlesex-London
  • Two more deaths were reported, one resident of long-term care
  • There are 55 new COVID-19 cases and two more deaths in Elgin-Oxford
  • Across Ontario, there are 3,326 new COVID-19 cases as stay-at-home order comes into effect

What’s the situation for the London area?

The Middlesex-London Health Unit (MLHU) reported 94 new cases of COVID-19 Thursday. The seven-day average for cases in the region is now at 110 per day.

Two more deaths were recorded, including a man in his 80s from a long-term care home and a man in his 70s. The death toll for the region is now up to 136, including 34 people so far this month.

Known active cases of COVID-19 in Middlesex-London are now up to 1,391, according to the MLHU.

Local assessment centre swabbed some 871 people on Wednesday as testing continues at the Oakridge and Carling Heights locations.

COVID-19 cases among demographics

Case counts continue to climb among people in their 20s in Middlesex-London. Nearly one quarter of all cases in the region are people in their 20s, making up 1,154 cases since the pandemic began.

That trend continues, with 25 per cent of cases logged in January being the 20s demographic.

CBC News has reached out to the MLHU for clarification on the why that demographic is leading in case counts, but so far, there is no plausible explanation from health experts.

Hospital board chair steps down

It was announced Amy Walby, the chair of the board of directors at the London Health Sciences Centre, has resigned her position Thursday.

Walby has been at the centre of controversy since Friday, when it was revealed that former CEO Paul Woods travelled five times to the United States to see his family during the pandemic. Walby originally said the board of directors was aware of Woods’ travel and supported him, but on Monday, it fired Woods and said it was not aware of the trips.

Woods has since filed a $2.5-million lawsuit against the hospital network for wrongful dismissal.

COVID-19 across the region and beyond

Southwestern Public Health, which includes St. Thomas, Aylmer and Woodstock, reported 55 new COVID-19 cases Thursday, along with two more deaths. There are currently 369 known active cases in Elgin-Oxford.

There were 216 new cases of COVID-19 and four more deaths reported in Windsor-Essex Thursday. According to the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit, there are about 2,800 known active infections in the region.

Meanwhile, Ontario reported 3,326 new COVID-19 cases province-wide and 62 more deaths.

The Ontario government sent out an emergency alert Thursday morning announcing the stay-at-home order was now in effect. The new order is part of a series of measures implemented to slow the spread of COVID-19.



Source by [author_name]

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Must Read

Translate »