Home World Politics Blair approves request to boost RCMP presence as Nova Scotia lobster fishery...

Blair approves request to boost RCMP presence as Nova Scotia lobster fishery dispute escalates | CBC News


Public Safety Minister Bill Blair has greenlighted a request for additional RCMP support in Nova Scotia amid criticism that Ottawa has not done enough to protect community members embroiled in a bitter conflict over a First Nations lobster harvest in that province. 

“Policing in Nova Scotia is within provincial jurisdiction,” Blair said in a statement released Saturday. “I have now approved a request from Nova Scotia’s attorney general to enhance the presence of contracted RCMP resources as needed in that jurisdiction in order to keep the peace.”

The minister’s office told CBC News that the request was approved on Friday and that the number of officers sent to the region will be determined by the province and its RCMP.

The announcement comes after a fire levelled a lobster pound in Middle West Pubnico, N.S., on Saturday morning. 

Nova Scotia RCMP have deemed the blaze suspicious and said a man is in hospital with life-threatening injuries. Spokesperson Sgt. Andrew Joyce told CBC News that the injured individual is an “adult male who is considered a person of interest.” 

The scene Saturday morning after a lobster pound burned to the ground in Middle West Pubnico, N.S., overnight, severely injuring one man. The RCMP are investigating the matter. (Taryn Grant/CBC)

The fire broke out at one of two facilities in the province’s southwest region that were targeted by commercial fishermen on Tuesday protesting the “moderate livelihood” fishery launched by Sipekne’katik First Nation last month. 

The fishery is operating outside the federally mandated commercial season, causing many commercial lobster fishermen to worry about its impact on lobster conservation. 

The Mi’kmaw, who were storing their catches at the facilities, say they are exercising their treaty right to earn a moderate livelihood from fishing, a right affirmed by a 1999 Supreme Court of Canada ruling. 

Sipekne’katik chief: ‘Maybe it’s time for the military’

Before the announcement, Sipekne’katik First Nation Chief Mike Sack called on Ottawa to beef up the number of officers in the area.

“We’re not told numbers in general, but very understaffed. Like, 300 commercial fishermen on the wharf, 40 or 50 of us [and] 12 officers,” Sack said during a news conference on Saturday. “Maybe it’s time for the military to come in and assist.”

Sack has been increasingly critical of the federal government’s failure to intervene in the conflict.

“You know, they’re sitting in their office, safe as can be, saying we need safety out here. Send enforcement down. Like, do your job. Protect Canadians. We’re all Canadians. Come here, protect us and don’t just tweet about it,” he said Thursday. 

Blair said that Nova Scotia RCMP had “increased their police presence in the affected area each day.”

“Officers remain on scene and have assembled investigative teams to actively gather evidence to support any additional criminal charges necessary,” his statement read. “More details will be released by the Nova Scotia RCMP and provincial authorities as they become available.”



Source by [author_name]

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Must Read

Fourth grader has to walk to his shuttered school in order to use the WiFi to be taught online 

A fourth-grader from New Mexico has been pictured lying outside of his elementary school, closed because of the coronavirus pandemic, in order to...

Van Jones says Trump ‘doesn’t get credit’ for ‘good things’ he has done for African Americans

Van Jones, the former Obama administration official and current CNN commentator, said on Friday that President Trump ‘doesn’t get credit’ for the ‘good...

Campaña de Trump afirma: Padres de niños migrantes no los quieren recuperar

Tim Murtaugh, director de comunicaciones de la campaña del presidente de Estados Unidos, Donald Trump, aseguró que la reunificación de más de 500...

Lauren Conrad and Kristin Cavallari reunite with their Laguna Beach co-stars on Zoom

The popular MTV reality series Laguna Beach came to an end after three seasons in November of 2006. And nearly 14-years later, Lauren Conrad,...

El capitán del Real Madrid, Sergio Ramos, entró en la lista de convocados para enfrentar este sábado al Barcelona

Las derrotas del Real Madrid, en Champions ante el Shakhtar y en Liga contra el Cádiz, han calado profundo en el conjunto merengue...
Translate »