Ferrari driver Charles Leclerc tests positive for Covid-19 and says he has ‘mild symptoms’ with his diagnosis coming days after F1 reschedules its 2021 season due to the pandemic
- Charles Leclerc’s positive is just days after Formula One revamped the schedule
- Fellow drivers Lewis Hamilton and Lando Norris have also had coronavirus
- Leclerc confirmed his news in a Twitter statement and has mild symptoms
Ferrari driver Charles Leclerc has tested positive for Covid-19 but is only experiencing ‘mild symptoms’.
The Frenchman’s positive result occurs days after Formula One bosses unveiled a revamped calendar following the postponement of the Australian and Chinese Grand Prix due to strict coronavirus travel restrictions in place in both countries.
McLaren driver Lando Norris tested positive for the virus earlier this month while champion Lewis Hamilton suffered with Covid-19 at the end of the 2020 season.
Ferrari driver Charles Leclerc says that he has recently tested positive for Covid-19
A statement from Ferrari read: ‘Driver Charles Leclerc has tested positive for Covid-19. In accordance with the team’s protocols, Charles is tested regularly and yesterday the result from his latest test came back positive.
‘Charles notified us immediately and has informed everyone he has been in close contact with in the last few days. He is currently feeling ok with mild symptoms and is now self-isolating at home in Monaco.’
Leclerc provided an update on Twitter, he said: ‘I am feeling OK and have mild symptoms.
‘I will remain in isolation in my home in Monaco in compliance with the regulations set by the local health authorities.’
The new F1 season is set to get under way in Bahrain on March 28 before it heads to Europe for a race in Imola on April 18.
Leclerc’s diagnosis comes days after F1 rescheduled the 2021 season due to Covid-19