A retired Navy Seal, who shared a video boasting about the Capitol breach and encouraging his followers to bring walking sticks to use as weapons against Antifa protesters, helps potential SEAL candidates prepare for basic training in Ohio.
Earlier on Wednesday, it was reported that Adam Newbold, 45, of Lisbon, Ohio, told his Facebook followers in a now-deleted video that he was ‘proud’ of what happened at the Capitol last week.
It has since been revealed that Newbold, who traveled down to Washington, DC, with a group of people on the night of January 5, is a contractor for the Navy Warrior Challenge program based in Ohio and is listed as a regional ‘mentor’ on the site.
Newbold’s contact information is also listed on the Navy Warrior Challenge website, but when DailyMail.com reached out for comment a person who answered quickly hung up.
Scroll down for video
Retired Navy SEAL, Adam Newbold, who boasted about the Capitol breach last week, prepares recruits for entry to the unit’s arduous selection course in Ohio
Newbold, who traveled down to Washington, DC , with a group of people on the night of January 5, is a contractor for the Navy Warrior Challenge program based in Ohio and is listed as a regional ‘mentor’ on the site
In response to Newbold’s claim that he isn’t a traitor, retired Army Gen General Raymond A. Thomas III tweeted: ‘”I’m not a traitor.” Yeah, you are. And you are a stain on your former profession’
Navy spokeswoman Cmdr Courtney Hillson told Task & Purpose that the program helps potential SEAL trainees prepare for basic underwater demolition/SEAL training.
Newbold’s bio says that he is ‘a highly decorated combat veteran of multiple wars, conflicts, and countless Top Secret, Covert and Clandestine Operations’.
‘He is a former special advisor to the director of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and has held counsel with the President of the United States, top military commanders, congressional leaders and foreign heads of state.
‘His company, ATG, trains law enforcement professionals, government contractors, military special operators and federal agents in Advanced Tactics. ATG’s mission is to provide lifesaving skillsets to those who often find themselves in harm’s way. These skills are designed to keep operators safe and effective.’
According to Task & Purpose, Newbold also co-owns RAPTOR Training Services, which was awarded a contract by the Army in 2014 for nearly $98million to provide ‘Special Operations Forces requirements analysis, prototyping, training, operations, and rehearsal and for operations and maintenance training support’.
Newbold (left and right), who has since apologized for ‘getting wrapped up in the heat of the moment’, was seen in a video, obtained by ABC News, telling his Facebook followers that he was ‘proud’ of what happened in DC while on his way home
Newbold, who has since apologized for ‘getting wrapped up in the heat of the moment’, was seen in a video, obtained by ABC News, telling his Facebook followers that he was ‘proud’ of what happened in DC while on his way home.
‘There was destruction breaching the Capitol. To get in you had to destroy doors and windows,’ Newbold, who is a retired reserve SEAL special warfare operator, says in the clip.
‘I’m hoping the message was strong enough, unfortunately maybe it wasn’t, I’d hate to see this escalate more,’ he added in the since deleted video.
According to ABC, Newbold also said in the clip that he hopes ‘it pans out to be a positive revolution’.
During the rant, Newbold, who served 24 years in the Navy, said he wanted to make lawmakers ‘think twice about what they’re doing’ and to be left ‘shaking in their shoes’.
In another video from Newbold’s event page for the DC rally, he advised participants to consider bringing walking sticks to use as weapons to fend off Antifa protesters.
Shocking video from the riot on the Capitol showed Trump supporters using poles from their flags, as well as batons to assault police officers.
And just a day before the riot, Newbold shared a video on his Facebook page telling his viewers that they are ‘very prepared’ for a fight.
Just a day before the riot, Newbold (left and right) shared a video on his Facebook page telling his viewers that they are ‘very prepared’ for a fight. ‘We are not going down looking for a fight… we are just very prepared, very capable and very skilled patriots ready for a fight,’ he said
Newbold (pictured) expressed remorse for what happened at the Capitol, saying: ‘It was all taken too far’
‘It’s time to stand up and take our country back and make sure that we are being respectful and doing things in the right way,’ he said.
‘We are not going down looking for a fight… we are just very prepared, very capable and very skilled patriots ready for a fight and we will react without hesitation when called upon to do so,’ Newbold added.
But in an interview with ABC, Newbold started to sing a very different tune and revealed that he is now cooperating with FBI agents who will be conducting a second interview with him.
Newbold expressed remorse for what happened at the Capitol, saying: ‘It was all taken too far.’
‘I would like to express to you just a cry for clemency, as you understand that my life now has been absolutely turned upside-down,’ Newbold said. ‘I am not a terrorist. I am not a traitor.’
But retired Army Gen General Raymond A. Thomas III, the former head of US Special Operations Command, believes otherwise.
‘”I’m not a traitor.” Yeah, you are. And you are a stain on your former profession,’ Thomas tweeted.
In a video shared on the ATG Worldwide Facebook page, Newbold said that ‘people standing up for this country are not traitors’.
‘Standing up for the government isn’t a coup attempt. What I don’t agree with is that some people were fighting with the cops,’ Newbold said, adding that he was upset that protesters also brought pipe bombs and Molotov cocktails.
‘We were constantly trying to deescalate and make sure to stand strongly with the police,’ Newbold added.
Newbold said he didn’t assault any of the officers as the mob of MAGA supporters stormed the building. He also said he never entered the Capitol building
Newbold told ABC that he didn’t assault any of the officers as the mob of MAGA supporters stormed the building. He also said he never entered the Capitol building.
He said he came to a realization that the incident ‘accomplished nothing’ after learning that a rioter had been shot dead inside the building.
Capitol Police Officer, Brian Sicknick, also died from injuries he sustained during the riot and three other people succumbed to injuries from the incident.
‘What the hell was it all for?’ Newbold told ABC. ‘Now I regret being in the crowd. When you are in the arena, you don’t see the big picture.’
Refraining from discussing specifics concerning Newbold’s actions, Capt Ryan Perry, a spokesperson for Naval Special Warfare Command, said in a statement to ABC: ‘It would be inappropriate to discuss the actions of an individual, whose reserve service ended almost four years ago, that are subject to an ongoing federal investigation.’
On Tuesday, the military’s top leaders issued a written reminder to all service members that the deadly insurrection at the Capitol last week was an anti-democratic, criminal act, and that the right to free speech gives no-one the right to commit violence.
A memo signed by all members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff also reminded military members that Joe Biden was duly elected as the next president and will be sworn in to office on January 20.
The memo was unusual in that the military leadership, including Gen Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs, felt compelled to remind service members that it is wrong to disrupt the constitutional process.
‘The violent riot… was as direct assault on the US Congress, the Capitol building, and our Constitutional process,’ said a memorandum signed by all eight members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, led by the chairman, Milley.
It came as law enforcement agencies attempt to determine the full extent of criminal activity at the Capitol and to discover the extent of participation by current or past military members.
On Tuesday, the military’s top leaders issued a written reminder to all service members that the deadly insurrection at the Capitol last week was an anti-democratic, criminal act, and that the right to free speech gives no-one the right to commit violence
Five people during the riots, including US Capitol officer Brian Sicknick
Among the known retired veterans who stormed the Capitol was Ashli Babbitt, a retired Air Force veteran, who was shot dead by an officer as she tried to climb through a broken window to breach the chamber.
Retired Lt Col Larry Rendall Brock Jr, 53, was slapped with federal charges after he was pictured carrying plastic handcuffs and wearing full military gear in the Senate chamber during the riot.
The Army is also investigating Captain Emily Rainey for leading a group of at least 100 people from North Carolina to the rally.
She defended her actions saying she acted ‘within military regulations’ and no one within her group broke the law.
‘The rights of freedom of speech and assembly do not give anyone the right to resort to violence, sedition and insurrection,’ they said.
The letter said members of the armed services are bound to defend the constitution.
‘Any act to disrupt the constitutional process is not only against our traditions, values and oath; it is against the law.’
It has already been established that some military veterans participated in the riots at the Capitol, but the extent of any active-duty involvement has not been established.