Windsor Mayor Drew Dilkens broke COVID-19 regulations Wednesday last week when he dined at the Nico Taverna restaurant with seven other people at the table.
Just hours earlier, Dilkens was among mayors from the region who called for a “zero tolerance approach” when it comes to enforcement of COVID-19 regulations.
At the time, Windsor-Essex was under yellow “protect” status on Ontario’s COVID-19 response framework — and the maximum number of people allowed to be at a table together was six.
CBC News was made aware of the incident after it was sent a photo of the dinner group that was posted to Facebook.
After inquiries from CBC News, Dilkens made a statement to city council Monday afternoon. He called the incident an “unfortunate error on my part” that “should not have occurred.”
“As mayor, there is responsibility for me to lead by example and showcase to all in our region that we need to follow all restrictions and guidelines to the letter,” he said.
Though Dilkens has not received a ticket or a notice of bylaw infraction, he said he will make a donation of equivalent value to Windsor Goodfellows. The amount is $750.